Experienced in Civil Litigation
Melanie joined the firm in 2014. She became a partner in 2018 and Managing Partner in 2020. The focus of Melanie’s practice is civil litigation with an emphasis on civil rights litigation and governmental liabilities and immunities. Melanie has significant litigation experience. She has appeared before the Sixth Circuit, State Court of Appeals, trial courts and administrative agencies.
Melanie also presents seminars and trainings on a variety of topics including discrimination and harassment and law enforcement liability. Melanie has presented to the Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association and the County Loss Control Coordinators Association. Melanie is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute.
On the Personal Side
Aside from practicing law, Melanie is a spinning instructor and enjoys spending time with her husband and their dog, Walter, a miniature schnauzer they rescued. Melanie also volunteers with the Women’s Fund as a grant reader.
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Labor and Employment
- Civil Litigation
- School Law
- Capital University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude; Capital University Law Review, Associate Editor; International Law Program, Passau, Germany and Thessaloniki, Greece
- The Ohio State University, B.A. in English, summa cum laude; Study abroad: Cuernavaca, Mexico; Bath, England
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense Verdict Following Trial
- Williams v. Collins et al., Case No. 1:15-CV-337, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Western Division
- Crabbs et al. v. Pitts et al., Case No. 19-4057, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Knowlton v. Richland County et al., Case No. 17-3459, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit